5 Ways To Relax & Unwind With Essential Oils
Thank you to Aura Cacia for sponsoring this post! Although I received compensation in exchange for writing this review, all opinions are my own.
I’m a big fan of essential oils and using them in my daily life to keep me calm and positive. Though I’m not an expert when it comes to the vast array of essential oils out there, I really do notice that they improve my mood when I include them in my everyday routine.
Since I love talking about self-care and reducing stress, I wanted to share some of my favorite ways to relax and find balance with essential oils. I’ve teamed up with my friends at Aura Cacia to share five simple ways you can start using essential oils in your daily life.
All of these recipes and ideas use the Aura Cacia Essential Oil Discovery Kit which includes peppermint, lavender, tea tree, and eucalyptus oils. Basically, all of the essentials!
Whether you’re a newbie or professional when it comes to essential oils, these ideas are perfect for anyone looking to unwind after a long day or simply take some time for themselves!
Use a Diffuser
If you’re brand new to essential oils, this is one of the easiest and best ways to start using them. All you need to do is add a few drops of your chosen essential oil and water into a diffuser like the Aura Cacia Aromatherapy Mist Ultrasonic Room Diffuser and you’re good to go.
Since there are so many different essential oils with countless benefits and healing properties, the Aura Cacia Essential Oil Discovery Kit is a great place to start. It includes lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, and peppermint essential oils which are pretty much the perfect starting essential oils for any beginner. I love diffusing essential oils at my work desk to keep me relaxed, as well as on my bedside table to help me unwind before bed.
Related Post: 7 Blissful Tools To Encourage Mindfulness At Work
Take a Bath
Sometimes all I want to do after a long day is run a bath and let the warm water engulf me for hours. Other times, I can’t stand to sit still for more than five minutes. If I am feeling like I really could benefit from a bath, I’ll use essential oils to help make the experience even more relaxing. One of my favorite recipes is this Lavender Oat Bath Tea:
Lavender Oat Bath Tea
- 48 drops Aura Cacia Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 2 small cotton drawstring bags
- In a blender or food processor, measure rolled oats. Pulse until a medium-coarse meal forms.
- In a mixing bowl, place ground oats and lavender flowers. Toss until well combined.
- Onto oats and lavender flower mixture, sprinkle the lavender essential oil. Toss until well mixed.
- Into each drawstring bag, place 1/4 cup mixture and tie drawstrings.
- To use, into warm bath water, toss one bag and let steep for duration of bath. For maximum aroma benefits, squeeze or wring bag periodically.
- To store, seal bags in an airtight container.
Related Post: 5 Blissful Books to Read in the Bath
Nourish your Body
Essential oils are amazing for creating your own DIY body products. When mixed with a body oil, they can help with a variety of skin types and concerns. I find that after I’ve taken a shower or bath, it can be super relaxing to spend some time to actually nourish your skin and ensure that you are taking care of it. Here’s a super simple and effective recipe to help with tired and aching feet:
Peppermint Foot Massage
- 2 fluid ounces Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Skin Care Oil
- 12 drops Aura Cacia Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 12 drops Aura Cacia Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2-ounce bottle
- In bottle, combine essential oils.
- Top with sweet almond oil, replace lid and shake until well blended.
- To use, massage gently into feet and toes.
Create a Face Steamer
I used to think face steamers were just something you do when you’re sick, but these days I see it as a great tool whenever I’m feeling like I need to recharge and let go of any stress. If you’re feeling like you need a little extra care at the end of the long day, here’s a super simple purifying steamer recipe featuring eucalyptus essential oil:
Eucalyptus Steamer Recipe
- 2 drops Aura Cacia Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 bowl of steaming water
- 1 large towel
- Into large bowl, measure eucalyptus oil, fill with steaming water.
- Lean over the bowl. Pull the towel over the head and the bowl (like a tent). Keep eyes closed and breathe deeply.
Related Post: 7 Ways To Relax After Work
Make a Face Mask
Face masks are one of my favorite things to help me relax, especially when I’m feeling stressed out. Since stress causes my skin to look a little lackluster, a face mask is a great way to brighten things up and give my skin the nourishment it needs. I do like a few store-bought masks (see this post), but I also think making your own mask is a fun way to experiment and get creative.
Lavender Tea Tree Clay Face Mask
- 7 drops Aura Cacia Lavender Essential Oil
- 7 drops Aura Cacia Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 1 ounce bentonite clay powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2-ounce amber glass bottle
- Into bottle, combine all ingredients. Stir until a smooth, creamy paste forms.
- To use, after cleansing face, massage mixture into skin, avoiding eyes. Let mask dry completely. Rinse with warm water and follow up with a moisturizer if needed.
There you have five ideas for using essential oils the next time you need to relax! Which recipe are you going to try out?
Leave a comment below!
Want blissful tips in your inbox?
Sign up for The Blissful Mind email list, and you'll get even more content to help you slow down, de-stress, and add a practical dose of mindfulness into your day!
Welcome, friend! Check your email to confirm your subscription.